Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Of Time and Trains


Of Time and Trains

One fine April day a man stood waiting for his train. It was a day like any other, and the man was certainly starting to feel in a rut. “If only something would happen!” he thought, “Anything! Just something different is all I ask for!”

The man then noticed that someone had tapped his right shoulder, he turned to see an old man dressed in some rather odd clothes: an old suit that must have contained all the history of the world.

“Dear fellow I must confess I have been keeping an eye on you these past few months and here taken notice of many a quiet and kind deed done by yourself. You are a good man and I would like to reward you with a single wish for all the kindness that you have shown to others.”

The man thought for a moment, but not much longer. “The future, sir I want to be sent to the future!” Space ships and flying cars flashed through his mind, dreams from a childhood long since passed. “As you desire kind sir, I am happy to oblige, I wish you the best.”

There was a bright flash and the man opened his eyes and rubbed them a few times. He eyed the clock on the train station wall. It was the same date, in fact only twenty minutes had passed. He had missed his train home. “Damn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment